4/8/07

Happy Resurrection Day

[I bought this felt bag for $1 at Target, pulled off the cute airplane & added the hill & cross]


Of course everyone we run into at the store asks Drew, "So who's coming to your house on Sunday??? Someone with long ears and lots of candy??!!" Cute---sure, even though he pretty much looks at them dumb-founded. We want Drew to remember the TRUE meaning of the celebration & remind ourselves of it also. I just read about this "Easter" idea last week called "RESURRECTION EGGS." Our Walmart did not have any and it was too late to order it online. So I went to task to make it myself. I wanted to have it done for our family Easter dinner on Sat. night, and finished it with my final piece (a rock) when I picked up John at work. It was such a captivating illustration to tell the story of Christ's sacrifice. I made it for Drew, but everyone really enjoyed it! I hope to bring this out every Easter.


The Eggs tucked away in their "Home"


1. Jesus rode into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:1-11)

[Donkey]


2. Mary washes Jesus’ feet (John 12: 1-8)

[Small cloth with perfume on it]


3. Jesus shared the Last Supper with His disciples (Matthew 26:17-19)
[a piece of bread]


4. Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver (Matthew 27:3)

[Silver coins]


5. Jesus carried His own cross (John19:17)

[Cross, made out of toothpicks]


6. Soldiers placed a crown of thorns on Jesus' head (John 19:2)
[Small thorny branch made into crown]


7. Soldiers parted Jesus' garments and cast lots for His coat (John 19:23)
[Swatch of cloth, torn]


8. Jesus was nailed to a cross and pierced in His side (John 19:18,37 )

[A nail]


9. They gave Jesus vinegar mixed with gall on a sponge to drink (Matthew 27:34)

[A small sponge]



10. Spices to prepare Jesus’ body for burial (John 19:40)

[spices, such as cinnamon stick & whole cloves]



11. The stone covering Jesus' tomb was rolled away (John 20:1)

[A small rock]

12. The napkin around Jesus' head was lying separately from His linen clothers.
He was not there. He has risen! (John 20:6-7)

[A scrap of linen-type fabric; I actually used first-aid gauze]

6 comments:

Matt & Nicki said...

I LOVE THAT!! You are very creative to do all that on your own. . .I would love to have that kind of visual picture for Sara and Silas. I will have to google resurrection eggs to see what I come up with. Thanks for sharing that.

Erin Neiner said...

Nicki, That is exactly what I did (google). I was going to post the site, but forgot to write it down!

The Schindel Six said...

I love it Erin! What a fantastic idea...thank you for sharing.

undergroundcrowds said...

That's cool.

Future of Hope said...

Erin,
I don't know if you remember me. I am Beth Brumbaugh-er-Stamper's aunt. (I'm the one with two little boys, Jack and Andrew.)
Anyway, I just had to comment on the eggs. The Resurrection Eggs are such a great testimony for little ones. I have used these in Sunday School and Children's Church.
I have a recipe for a neat little resurrection cookie. Each direction shares a section of the crucifixion, and it is a neat way to retell this account to kids.
Hope your little boys are doing well!

Erin
(Future of Hope)

Dawn said...

Erin,
I just found your blog and say the link to this one; I love the idea of the Easter Eggs. I will have to try that next year for Noah.